|Outside the Cube|
Computer Hardware (2)
Dating Scams (6313)
Male Dating Scammers (2359)
Microsoft Scammers (1)
Other Scams (21)
Spammer Businesses (5)
About this site
Links to us
General :: Outside the Cube :: Household
This list is sorted by recent document popularity (not total page views).
New documents will first appear at the bottom.
Generated 20:01:29 on Oct 20, 2018
Connecting a Motorola V phone with your PC - USB Data Cable problems
I bought a new, unlocked Motorola V400 mobile phone on ebay. Since this phone has a (VGA resolution) camera, I wanted a data cable to connect the phone with my PC.
The data cable allows to transfer pictures, mp3 files and address book data between phone and PC (Outlook).
I found various offers on ebay that were very low priced.
"Motorola V551 V300 V330 V400 V600 USB Data Cable + CD"
The description for this product is typically like this:
- 100% Brand New High Quality USB Data Cable w/ Driver
- Quantity: 1
- Start syncing data for your phone with this USB data cable with driver.
- Connect your cellular phone with your PC/Laptop by the USB port to perform data transfer, fax and modem operations on GSM and TDMA products.
- USB Driver is included. Driver configures the computer's COM port 4 (COM4) to be a USB port so that TrueSync can be used with the cable.
- Note: TrueSync does not allow or recognize a USB connection; however, this data cable will configure the computer's COM4 to be a USB port. After installing USB driver, choose COM4 as your connection in TrueSync.
- USB is supported on Windows 98/2000/ME/XP, not supported on Windows 95/98 1st Edition or Windows NT.
- Act now while this offer lasts!
- For use with: Motorola
- Compatible with: A630 / A830 / A835 / A840 / A845 / A860 / A920 / A1000 / C305 / C341c / C343 / C343cr / c390 /c698p / C975 / C980 /E310 / E398 / E550 / E815 /E815m / E1000 / E1070 / M800 / M900 / ROKR E1 [E790] / T720 /T720c / T720i / T722 / T722i / T725 / T300p / T730c / T7 / V60 / V60t / V60c / V60g / V60i / V60p / V60s / V60v / V60x / V65p / V66 / V70 / V80 / V120 / V120c / V120e /V120t / V120x / V260 / V262 /V265 / V265m / V266 / V276 / V300 / V300m / V330 / V330i / V400 / V400p / V500 / V501 / V505 / V510 /V525 / V525m / V535 / V540 / V545 / V547 / V550 / V551 / V551j / V551m / V555 / V557 / V557p / V560 / V600 / V600i / V600m / V620 / V635 / V635i / V710 / V710m / V810 / V872 / V975 / V980 / V1050 / MPx220 / Timeport 270 / 270c / 280 / 280g
I bought a combo of
- driver CD
- travel charger
for $0.99 plus $5.95 shipping.
With sales tax it came to $7.02. I already had a travel charger and a car charger, but hey - a spare charger cannot hurt, or?
The product arrived within 4 days.
I put the CDROM in the laptop (Windows XP),
plug the cable in the phone,
other end of cable goes in laptop's USB port.
computer recognizes new hardware
but fails to install the proper drivers.
I spend 12 hours over 2 days downloading various drivers and software tools.
Appears that the content of the driver CD (P2K drivers) is indeed needed, but you can download it for free from many many sources on the web (legal downloads)
Ideally you will also want a software application that does the synchronization. The drivers alone don't do you good. There are illegal copies available on the web, or in P2P file sharing networks, or you can buy "Motorola Phone Tools" from these guys:
As I said, I am not a computer novice, and after combined 12 hours of trying, I figured the cable may be bad. My cable has a print "V60" on it. Maybe not quite as compatible as I thought?
I went to the mall and bought an official Motorola Data Cable ($27.50 including sales tax).
Plugged it in, worked right away.
For 27.50 you don't even get a driver CD and of course no application either, but you get a functioning cable.
What about the cables on ebay? I found out that this is no single occurence. Many other customers have made the same experience. Those $0.49 cables are not working reliably.
Can can I do? Sure, I can mail the defective cable back to the ebay seller and get a refund of 99 cents (actually a loss after paying for shipping it back!)
The way I see it, I got a spare travel charger - which actually does work -, and hopefully one more positive feedback, all for $7.
|Most recent comments